"Not that we were incompatible: we just had nothing to talk about." — Haruki Murakami (Norwegian Wood)

Monday, August 23, 2010

Catching Hummingbirds

It took less than a second to capture this tiny hummingbird yesterday, sipping a delightful taste of nectar from the flower. However, what you don’t see, are the several shots over and over again for well over thirty minutes that have lots of flowers and not a single bit of hummingbird feather anywhere to be seen. Before I could move my finger on the button, the little fellow had flittered away, again and again, out of my range, teasing my camera and my patience.

It would have been VERY easy to quit. In fact, I was SO close to walking away. I knew I was keeping lunch waiting, there was so much more to be seen at the gardens where my Ambrose family were, celebrating the 1st day of harvest. I kept saying, “Just ONE more try…just ONE more time…If I don’t get it THIS time I’ll QUIT…” But then I would try again. I couldn’t seem to help myself.

Over and over.

And then there he was. Captured on film.

I won’t pretend it’s a great shot. It’s just a lesson on persistence. I keep finding myself looking at it over and over again when I get discouraged. When I feel like giving up. It’s a reminder.

Sometimes you CAN catch a hummingbird. :)

Here are some fast facts about hummingbirds:

* Most hummingbirds flap their wings about 50 or so times a second, faster than any other bird.
* A hummingbird's heart beats up to 1,260 times per minute.
* Hummingbirds fly an average 25-30 mph, but can reach speeds of 60 mph when diving.
* Hummingbirds may visit as many as 1,000 flowers per day in their non-stop search for food.
* Although the hummingbird is the smallest species of bird, its brain accounts for 4.2% of its total body weight, making it, proportionately, the largest brain in the bird kingdom.
* Hummingbirds can live 10 or more years in the wild.

No comments:

Post a Comment